Monday, September 22, 2008

Workout or Blackout?

I got up at 5:40am and headed to the gym, a new thing for me that I started last week. I've always shyed away from mornings at the gym, opting for lunchtime most commonly... but my sister can only go at that time, and I'd much rather go and have somebody to talk to. So off we went this morning, working out, feeling good, enjoying the cooler weather when suddenly the place goes black. The power struggles to come back on, then blackness again. A second and third time it flickers, then finally resigns. But we, having woken up at 5:40, were determined to finish... and we did!! No music, no lights, no little "voice" telling us when to move to the next machine. We worked by the little bit of sunlight starting to peak out behind the mountain range, and I felt accomplished. We could have easily given up and headed home to climb back in bed, but we finished! And on top of that, I pulled in to the new (empty) business park down our street, parked, and walked for another 30 minutes. It was the perfect morning to walk because the sun was just peaking over the mountains, the air was cool, and it was quiet. I found myself praying out loud and walking further than I normally would. What a perfect day to workout!

2 comments:

Hofwoman said...

You have great determination - - - I probably would've just assumed that it was a 'sign to forget it' and quit! :)

jen said...

way to go, christina! isn't that feeling of accomplishment so awesome? :) it's such a gift of God. it's such an encouragement toward faithfulness and discipline.

i walked for the first time in a long time yesterday, too, and now you're inspiring me to get out and do it again today. thanks! :)